British Citizenship & Settlement

British Citizenship by Registration

A quicker and easier way of becoming a British Citizen for qualifying applicants

If a person at or above 18 has some form of British Nationality, they may ‘register’ as a British Citizen instead, provided they meet the usual residence requirements.

If a child under 18 has at least one British parent, he or she may also ‘register’ as a British Citizen. However, the requirements are more complicated for them.

If you still have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact UK Visa Partners on +44 (0)20 7253 6888 by phone or by e-mail.

British Citizenship by Naturalisation

For foreign nationals with settled status in the UK and want to become British Citizens

If you are at or above 18 and wish to apply for British Citizenship, you may do so, if

  1. You have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK up until the date of your application
  2. You have not been absent from the UK for more than 90 days in each calendar year
  3. You have not been absent from the UK for more than 450 days in total
  4. You have been holding Indefinite Leave to Remain for at least 12 months before the date of your application


For those who want to be exempt from immigration time restriction

‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’
Route to Permanent Residency chart:

Tier 1 (Investor)2, 3, or 5 years depending on the investment
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)3 or 5 years depending on the business
Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)5 years
Sole Representative5 years
Skilled Worker (Sportspersons), (Religious Workers)5 years
Intra-Company TransferNot allowed to settle any more
Marriage / Civil Partnership5 years
Unmarried Partner5 years
Long residency (Student or a combination of continuous lawful stay in the UK on any visas)10 years
Continuous unlawful stay in the UK20 years
Retired Person of Independent MeansGranted upon entry clearance
Dependent Child / Adult RelativeGranted upon entry clearance

5-Year Route

The old Work Permit and Highly-Skilled Migrant schemes are now closed to new applicants. The Home Office has introduced new categories in Tiers 1 and Skilled Worker visa, and the ancestry visa to allow migrants to settle after residing in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years (Does not apply to students). In some cases, applicants may be allowed to combine the times spent under different work visas to make up those 5 years. Dependents may also apply for settlement along with the main applicant.

10-Year Route

If a person has spent a continuous period of 10 years in the UK on any visa types (for example a Student Route visa) without any break in residence, they may be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Dependents cannot apply in line with the main applicant.

If you need further information on Indefinite Leave to Remain, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on +44 (0)20 7253 6888 by phone or by e-mail. We will endeavour to provide you with the highest standard of service!
1 Comment
Leave a Reply to Spouse Visa – UK Visa Partners Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add Comment *

Name *

Email *